PSSR regulations, specifically, are discussed in OSHA 29 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) 1910.119(I):
- The employer shall perform a pre-startup safety review for new facilities and for modified facilities when the modification is significant enough to require a change in the process safety information.
- The pre-startup safety review shall confirm that prior to the introduction of hazardous chemicals to a process:
- Construction and equipment are in accordance with design specifications;
- Safety, operating, maintenance, and emergency procedures are in place and are adequate;
- For new facilities, a process hazard analysis has been performed and recommendations have been resolved or implemented before startup; and modified facilities meet the requirements contained in management of change, paragraph (l).
- Training of each employee involved in operating a process has been completed.